As the incidence of cancer rises, and treatment becomes more effective, increasing numbers of people are living with and beyond their cancer. As such, cancer is now being viewed as a long term condition.
The National Cancer Taskforce report ‘Achieving World-Class Cancer Outcomes – A Strategy For England 2015-2020’ includes recommendations for improving outcomes for people living with and beyond cancer. RM Partners is working to implement this strategy across north west and south west London.
While many people will return to their previous levels of health and well-being, a significant number will experience a ‘new normal’ due to consequences of their cancer or treatment. It is becoming increasingly clear that there is a need for pathways of assessment, management and, when necessary, onward referral in order to support people to ‘live well‘, beyond their cancer treatment.
The Macmillan Cancer Support Recovery Package includes elements such as holistic needs assessment, treatment summaries and health and well-being events. The Recovery Package is recognised in the NHS England Five Year Forward View and the National Cancer Strategy recommends that every person with cancer has access to it by 2020. RM Partners is supporting pan-London work to meet this commitment.
Please see below for a list of all our Living With and Beyond Cancer resources for healthcare professionals. Initially produced by the London Cancer Alliance (LCA), they are still relevant and should be used across RM Partners. They are being reviewed and updated where necessary in the coming months.
For more information please contact Vanessa Brown, senior project manager, Vanessa.Brown5@nhs.net
Holistic Needs Assessment
- Pan-London Holistic Needs Assessment print version 2013
- Pan-London Holistic Needs Assessment electronic version 2013
- Pan-London Skin Holistic Needs Assessment June 2014
- RM Partners HNA prompt tools
Consequences of treatment
- LCA guidance and recommendations for referral to fertility services September 2014 (under review 2018)
- LCA guidance on GI consequences of cancer March 2016
- LCA Sexual Consequences of Cancer Treatment Management Pathway March 2016
- LCA Lymphoedema Service Specification January 2016 (updated March 2016)
- LCA Lymphoedema Referral and Management Guidelines June 2015
Mental health and psychological support
- LCA Developing a pathway for mental health and psychological support services for adults June 2014
- LCA Mental Health and Psychological Support Service Specifications and Referral Guidance December 2014
- LCA Guidance for Level Two Healthcare Workers and Level Three/Four Supervisors September 2015